24 September 2018

To PhD

Today, I'm in limbo. And in London.

I'm sitting in a tiny room that's not particularly cheap, not particularly cheerful, but is precisely (according to the Google Maps tool) 4,977.87 miles from the front door of my home in Texas. I'm here right now because I've just enrolled for a PhD. I'm excited to start, but I'm also homesick for my wife, my children, at least 2/3 of my pets, and more than 95% of the square footage of my house.

This, of course, raises a question:
Why is my already-expensively-over-educated ass currently planted in a chair at a desk in front of a window that has a great view (with full sound effects) of three separate sets of very active railroad tracks?

Like many simple questions, there's no simple answer. But I'd be lying if I said the pajamas weren't a factor.


It's late here, and I'm tired, so answers will have to wait. I'll start with them tomorrow, and I'll begin by talking about what I'm going to try to study.

No comments: